Because the Dow Jones industrial common reaches its newest milestone, see how properly you understand the oldest and greatest-recognized barometer of the U.S. inventory market.
1. When was the Dow Jones industrial common first revealed?
2. What’s the bottom recorded closing degree for the Dow?
three. Has the Dow all the time had 30 shares in it?
four. What’s the Dow Jones industrial common named for?
5. Which firm has been within the common from the very starting?
6. What yr did the musical comedy “How Now, Dow Jones” open on Broadway and what was the plot line?
1. Might 26, 1896.
2. The bottom level on document for the Dow is 28.forty eight on Aug. eight, 1896.
three. No. The primary model of the typical contained 12 industrial shares, together with U.S. Rubber, American Sugar and American Cotton Oil.
four. The typical was created by Dow Jones & Co., which was based by Charles Dow, Edward Jones and Charles Bergstresser. Dow Jones & Co. additionally based The Wall Road Journal.
5. Common Electrical.
6. The Tony Award-nominated musical performed 220 performances beginning in 1967. The story follows Kate, who’s annoyed as a result of her fiance will solely marry her as soon as the Dow crosses 1,000 factors. (That didn’t occur till 1972.)
Sources: S&P Dow Jones Indices, Samuel French Inc.